[OpenAFS] Can anyone reproduce this under LINUX (was: temporary reference files do not disappear)

Norbert Gruener nog@MPA-Garching.MPG.DE
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:27:23 +0200

Hi,

I have the following case:

  - I display file X with 'less' in window A on machine M
  - I remove file X in window B on machine M while the 'less' is still
      running in window A
  - after removing file X I can see a file like ".__afsEB15" in window
      B on machine M
  - I finish the 'less' in window A on machine M

And now starts the trouble  :-(

Under AIX, Solaris, and Irix, the file ".__afsEB15" disappears
immediately like it should.  Whereas under Linux the file stays.
Sometimes it takes up to ten minutes until the file disappears.
Sometimes the file does not disappear at all.  And this is very
annoying because we have a few applications which remove their
temporary files while these files are still open.  After the
applications finish these files do not disappear properly.  That means
after some time you have cumulated a substantial number of useless
files on your AFS space.

This behavior has appeared on Linux with OpenAFS version 1.2.3.  Under
version 1.2.2 this is definitely not the case.

We are running OpenAFS version 1.2.3 on all above mentioned platforms.
Our Linux kernel is compiled from scratch and it is kernel version
2.4.14.

Any pointer or hints for solving this problem would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Norbert
   | Norbert E. Gruener           http://www.MPA-Garching.MPG.de/~nog/ |
   | Max-Planck-Institut          <nog@MPA-Garching.MPG.de>            |
   | fuer Astrophysik             PGP encrypted mail preferred         |
   | PGPprint(RSA):  66 64 C0 D0 6F 1A 16 02  C2 C6 37 83 3A 5F 88 9B  |
   | PGPprint(DH):  8B9A CB28 79DC 4C4F 5A0F  08A8 2771 2A99 A091 FBE8 |
   | PGPprint(DSS): 8900 2CB4 F3D3 124F 7ED2  F681 EA2D 11CA BE19 6642 |