[OpenAFS] Partial replication

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
06 Jun 2002 09:49:50 -0400

Well, if you do NOT recplicate the volumes closer to root, then users
will not be able to access that part of the tree.  For example, assume
you do not replicate root.cell, that means if your server with
root.cell goes down, then _ALL_ of your cell will become unavailable,
because /afs/bayour.com will not be available (therefore you cannot
traverse it).

Also keep in mind that your upper-level volumes are generally small.
For example, the athena.mit.edu root.cell is only 45k.
/afs/athena/project is 172k.  We're not talking huge volumes of disk
space, here.

Besides, a 100G IDE drive is $200.

-derek