[OpenAFS] Partial replication

Turbo Fredriksson turbo@bayour.com
07 Jun 2002 10:27:27 +0200

    Derek> Well, if you do NOT recplicate the volumes closer to root,
    Derek> then users will not be able to access that part of the
    Derek> tree.  For example, assume you do not replicate root.cell,
    Derek> that means if your server with root.cell goes down, then
    Derek> _ALL_ of your cell will become unavailable, because
    Derek> /afs/bayour.com will not be available (therefore you cannot
    Derek> traverse it).

I see, good point.

    Derek> Also keep in mind that your upper-level volumes are
    Derek> generally small.  For example, the athena.mit.edu root.cell
    Derek> is only 45k.  /afs/athena/project is 172k.  We're not
    Derek> talking huge volumes of disk space, here.

Same here, I still have the root.* volumes on my original partition -
80Mb or so, and the only occupy 36+5kb)...

    Derek> Besides, a 100G IDE drive is $200.

UNFORTUNATLY, these are Sun SPARC Station 4's, which ONLY have SCSI/LVD...
Those disks are _EXPENSIVE_ !!! I bought a 18Gb for work a couple of months
ago, and that costed me (roughly translated from swedish crown to US dollar)
$500! And that's only a 18Gb!! I'd need _at least_ eight (!) of those for my
two 'replicas'...
--
NORAD kibo Iran supercomputer Uzi Ft. Bragg Albanian critical
assassination NSA jihad Serbian Khaddafi domestic disruption cracking