[OpenAFS] OpenAFS client install problem on RH 7.3

Martin Johansson martin.johansson@drutt.com
Fri, 07 Jun 2002 15:09:12 +0200

--------------FA2FBE24EBF3D3AF906E5072

Hi,
I've been looking into nss_ldap myself over the past few days and I read something related to this just yesterday.
I include the important part of the text and a link to the page where I found it.

- - - 8< -----------
Important: Systems that use bash as their /bin/sh may have problems while
umounting or shutting down if NSS lookups go over LDAP. This is because the shell
script /etc/init.d/umountfs (may also be found under /etc/rc.d/init.d/umountfs)
which umounts all filesystems during shutdown is executed by bash which in turn
calls getpwnam(3), loading LDAP shared libraries. This can result in the
filesystem where the LDAP shared libraries reside not being able to umount
because it is busy with the mmapped shared libraries.

A possible workaround is to change the shebang-path in /etc/init.d/rc and
/etc/init.d/umountfs from /bin/sh to /bin/ash (as well as all calls to sh in
these scripts). Ash doesn't have the getpwnam(3) problem.
- - - 8< -----------

For the full document see http://www.oo-services.com/articles/sso.html

This very much seems like what you are experiencing on your machine.
I hope this can help you.

Andrew Bacchi wrote:

> The problem turned out not to be AFS, but rather my LDAP configuration.  I
> use AFS authentication, and LDAP for posix account information.  The
> config for ldap in /etc/nsswitch should have been:
>
> passwd:     files ldap
> group:      files ldap
>
> I had:
>
> passwd:     ldap files
> group:      ldap files
>
> This seems to have caused an illegal seek at dismount, probably due to
> an AFS process.  Thanks for your help here.
>
> On 5 Jun 2002, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > What if you run the UP kernel on this machine?  Does it still have
> > the problem?  Or is it specifically SMP?
> >
> > -derek

cheers,
	Martin
--
Martin Johansson
SMTS, Drutt Corp.

begin:vcard
n:Johansson;Martin
tel;cell:+46 703100563
tel;fax:+46 31 836699
tel;work:+46 31 836663
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.drutt.com/
org:Drutt
adr:;;Mölndalsvägen 81;Gothenburg;;412 63;Sweden
version:2.1
email;internet:martin.johansson@drutt.com
title:SMTS
x-mozilla-cpt:;-21440