[OpenAFS] AFS performance with .tar.gz

Sebastian Hanigk hanigk@in.tum.de
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 00:22:29 +0200

Hello,

I have a question concerning OpenAFS performance. On my notebook, I'm
using the Linux client (1.2.4), kernel is a vanilla 2.4.18, local
cache 50MB.

Compiling the kernel or garnome in an AFS directory is just as fast as
compiling on local space (my CPU isn't that fast ...), but as soon as
I want to extract a bigger .tar.gz  - the mozilla sources for example
- I don't get more than about 30k to 100k netload (I'm at least on a
10MBit link to the file server) and neither tar nor gzip show up with
non-neglectable load.

Is this more or less a usual behaviour or can I tune it up on the
client side?

Sebastian