[OpenAFS] OpenAFS and large files

Thomas Midgley midgley@us.ibm.com
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 18:26:49 -0400

>All,
>We have folks who want to load > 1 gig files into afs space.
>Although afs allows 2 gig files it always fails at one gig.
>I suspect / fear this is an AIX / afs issue. AIX needs the file system to
be
>large file enabled but afs gives this error when it sees a filesystem
enabled
>as large:
>/vicepa is a big files filesystem, ignoring it.
> Has anyone else run into this?
>We are using AIX 4.3.3.0 & OpenAfs 1.2.5
>

>Steve Devine
>Core Systems
>Michigan State University

Steve,
In /etc/security/limits on the fileserver, set the stanza
root:
            fsize = -1

This sets filesize to unlimited, which is really 2.1GB for AFS files.
You'll have to reboot for it to take effect.  Running "ulimit -f" as root
id should show "unlimited".

For files larger than 2.1GB, you'll have to migrate to DFS ;-)

Cheers,
Tom Midgley
IBM Global Services, Service Delivery Center - Northeast
UNIX Systems Support, AFS Team Leader

Poughkeepsie, NY
(845) 435-5804 (tie 295)
"You can blow out a candle, But you can't blow out a fire.
Once the flames begin to catch, The wind will blow it higher." - Peter
Gabriel from his song "Biko"