[OpenAFS] Can anyone reproduce this under LINUX (was: temporary reference files do not disappear)

Paolo Saggese Paolo.Saggese@libero.it
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:16:45 +0200

On Thursday 06 June 2002 09:27, Norbert Gruener wrote:

>[...]
> Under AIX, Solaris, and Irix, the file ".__afsEB15" disappears
> immediately like it should.  Whereas under Linux the file stays.
> Sometimes it takes up to ten minutes until the file disappears.
> Sometimes the file does not disappear at all.  And this is very

definitely I can reproduce it here.

System: Mandrake Linux 8.2, kernel 2.4.18 (Mandrake's provided one).

Openafs version 1.2.5

This definitely does NOT happen on boxes running Mandrake Linux 8.1 (Kern=
el=20
2.4.8) and OpenAFS 1.2.2  (I have just checked to make sure).

=2E..too bad!!!

If a user (who has it's own home directory on AFS) does use GNOME or KDE =
or=20
possibly just some of the many KDE or GNOME programs (basically everybody=
 use=20
eiter one or the other...) on a new client, some subdirs of:

~/.gnome

and/or

~/.kde

(in particular ~/.kde/share/apps/khtml/)

get filled up with countless .__afs???? files, at an incredible rate!!! :=
-(

Some of the users already called me for assistance 'cause they could no l=
onger=20
login on their own PCs... and I have found that it was just because their=
 AFS=20
quota was overfull due to these .__afs???? files eating up all the space!=
 :-(

Is there any way to fix this?

Ciao,
=09=09=09=09Paolo.
--=20
http://borex.lngs.infn.it/saggese
NOTICE: replace "NOSPAM" with my name.surname to get real E-Mail address.