[OpenAFS] the best distributed file system

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
18 Jun 2002 17:51:02 -0500

On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 17:38, Balazs GAL wrote:
> 2002-06-18, k keltez=E9ssel Nathan Neulinger ezt =EDrta:
> > And others of us that do run file servers on linux have never seen that
> > error. (We've seen other intermittent issues that result in service
> > loss, but virtually never data loss.)
> >=20
> > -- Nathan
>=20
> Friedel has right. You are lucky.

Maybe/maybe not... One negative of our problem is that no one else sees
it. At least the CoW problem is known, just not fixed.=20

In our case, we occasionally see the file or vol server just stop
handling requests... No indication of the problem. Rarely we have it
segfault, but have not switched it with the lwp based fileserver yet to
get a backtrace.=20

> Belive me, it was not a nice experience to see hundred of orphaned files
> and directories in my home directory or in a common heavy used volume.
> And of course i dont deliver mails into AFS.
>=20
> And of course i like OpenAFS. :) And thanks to the OpenAFS devel group's
> work. At this time, AFS is the greatest opensource network file system
> for unix.

Agreed. It's funny in a way to read things in the various
linux/unix/sysadm magazines talking about all these systems that people
have come up with, and knowing how much work they could have saved,
simply by having a decent distributed file system.

About the only thing I seriously wish were different is the cache
manager/kernel module's handling of server failures. It seems to have a
difficult time switching between replicates in certain circumstances,
but next to impossible to reproduce.=20