[OpenAFS] redundant home directory volumes

J. Maynard Gelinas gelinas@lns.mit.edu
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:46:29 -0400 (EDT)

  Hi folks,

  I've got a question about implementing some redundancy among home
directories. Suppose I have a small WAN configuration with file / database
servers local to each switch and LAN community. Even given a RAID array on
each file server, systems and RAID arrays do crash. So, what is the best
method for creating some volume redundancy across the cell for dynamic RW
volumes?  Should I:

  a) Make duplicate volume group backups, one to tape to archive and one
to live disk so any/all volumes on a failed server could be restored ASAP?

  b) Create RO volumes using vos addsite of each home directory and force
a RW mount in order to make certain clients prefer the RW path to a
homedir volume? If so, in the event of a server failure can I simply then
vos rename the RO volume to turn it into a RW and then remount it as the
user's homedir?

  I read some mention of an 'administrative hack' for multiple redundant
RW volumes in Richard Cambpell's 'Managing AFS'(pg. 115, ch. 4, section:
replication), but it didn't go into specifics.

Thanks!
--Maynard