[OpenAFS] OpenAFS for x86 Solaris 8

Alan Meadows alan@sunwave.com
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 00:32:26 -0700

Hello!

I apologize if I'm not posting to the correct group.  I have been
attempting to install OpenAFS 1.2.5 on the x86 Solaris 8 platform to deploy
some large scale data storage with OpenAFS.  My preferred operating system
is GNU/Debian Linux, but I -really- want to avoid the CopyOnWrite bug.  For
the last few days I have been struggling with compiling OpenAFS for the
Intel Solaris 8 platform.  I am not a complete newbie when it comes to
compiling and installing packages, but I am very inexperienced with Solaris
and cannot seem to get the package to install using the gcc compiler.  I
grabbed the necessary packages from http://www.sunfreeware.com to get gcc
operational and am fairly certain the installation is functioning because I
was able to build apache and OpenSSH.  I am using the sysname "sun4x_58" to
build OpenAFS, and it seems to want to insist on using
"/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc" which is Sun's commercial compiler and not
installed.  I have tried a couple of tweaks to the Makefiles to try and get
the package to use gcc but all of them have resulted in failed compile
attempts.  It really looks as though I should be using "sunx86_58" as my
sysname, but this does not exist?

Am I doing something really stupid? I would be very interested to know if
anyone has successfully built OpenAFS 1.2.5 on x86 Solaris 8 and what steps
you took to do so because I am somewhat lost.

Also, after doing countless google searches, there is a number of other
folks like myself who are puzzled with the task of compiling OpenAFS on x86
Solaris 8.  If the OpenAFS community has access to an x86 Solaris 8 machine
with a working compiler (and I would be happy to provide one), I think
there would be a number of people who would appreciate an x86 Solaris 8
binary tarball.

Thank you for your time,

Alan Meadows
alan@sunwave.com