[OpenAFS] OpenAFS for x86 Solaris 8

Alan Meadows alan@sunwave.com
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 01:25:03 -0700

>gcc isn't supported for building kernel modules yet. It's Sun cc or
>nothing.

Does this mean OpenAFS is not capable of working on x86 Solaris 8 systems?
If building OpenAFS is not possible with gcc, I do not see a way to build
it at all because as far as I can tell it's not possible to get Sun's cc
compiler for x86 Solaris.  Their latest version of the compiler suite is
for the SPARC platform only.  It also doesn't look like they intend to
release a compiler suite for the x86 architecture anytime soon.

> > attempts.  It really looks as though I should be using "sunx86_58" as my
> > sysname, but this does not exist?
>
>It will in the next version.

If you cannot build Solaris kernel module's with gcc and x86 systems do not
have the ability to acquire Sun's cc compiler, how will this help?

Alan Meadows
alan@sunwave.com