[OpenAFS] OpenAFS for x86 Solaris 8

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 10:47:27 -0500 (CDT)

> > Does this mean OpenAFS is not capable of working on x86 Solaris 8
> > systems?
>
> We got patches from someone who claimed to have tried them, so I'll have
> to go with no. I could believe I was mistaken and it worked with gcc on
> x86 (it is known to not work on sparc) but I doubt it.

If you're trying to avoid the copy-on-write bug, then I assume you're
trying to set up a server?  CoW is a server-side thing from what I've
read.  Can't you run the server without compiling the kernel module?

> > If building OpenAFS is not possible with gcc, I do not see a way to
> > build it at all because as far as I can tell it's not possible to get
> > Sun's cc compiler for x86 Solaris.  Their latest version of the
> > compiler suite is for the SPARC platform only.  It also doesn't look
> > like they intend to release a compiler suite for the x86 architecture
> > anytime soon.
>
> By implication you're saying "the current version isn't available so no
> version ever was"?

I'd have to double check my media set at home, but if I recall, the Sparc
version of Solaris 8 came with Forte 6.1 (sun cc), but the Intel version
did not.  The Intel version only included the Forte Java development
stuff.

Sun seems to be killing off their x86 port of Solaris.  You can't download
x86 Solaris from Sun's website anymore, and as far as I know, there's no
plans to release an x86 Solaris 9.  Personally, I'd shy away from using
Intel Solaris, as it seems to be dying off.

Ages ago, we had a source license for Transarc AFS 3.4a, and got an Intel
Solaris 2.6 port going, but I doubt that would do anyone any good these
days.

[  t charles clancy  ]-[  tclancy@uiuc.edu  ]-[  uiuc.edu/~tclancy  ]