[OpenAFS] .Xauthority issues

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:40:46 -0500

>That works well for .ssh, but not for ~/.Xauthority. I observed that
>the link gets deleted and replaced by a new file, again open to read.
>
>I can't be the first one to face that, what are your solutions to this
>problem? I already found out that both {x,g,k)dm and sshd show the
>abovementioned behaviour.

We set in the user's environment the XAUTHORITY variable to point to
~/private/.Xauthority, and we use a magical (hacked) xdm that does
the "right" thing and writes out the .Xauthority file to the "right"
location (IIRC, this also requires some hackery in the XDM startup
scripts so the XAUTHORITY variable is defined early enough, but it
wasn't too bad).

--Ken