[OpenAFS] .Xauthority issues

Martin Schulz schulz@iwrmm.math.uni-karlsruhe.de
13 Mar 2002 09:25:00 +0100

Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:
> We set in the user's environment the XAUTHORITY variable to point to
> ~/private/.Xauthority, and we use a magical (hacked) xdm that does
> the "right" thing and writes out the .Xauthority file to the "right"

I'd like to avoid to hack xdm or gdm. I'd rather like to set some
customization options. Customization files are much more long-lived
than hacked binaries/system scripts here.

I found a userAuthDir option for xdm and gdm but that does not seem to
do what I expected. For the ssh I could set the XAUTHORITY environment
variable in .ssh/environment (it would be even more secure to have
that one point to a local file in /tmp, so that the contents cannot be
sniffed on the network)

Yours,
--
Martin Schulz                             schulz@iwrmm.math.uni-karlsruhe.de
Uni Karlsruhe, Institut f. wissenschaftliches Rechnen u. math. Modellbildung