[OpenAFS] .Xauthority issues

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:08:05 -0500

>I'd like to avoid to hack xdm or gdm. I'd rather like to set some
>customization options. Customization files are much more long-lived
>than hacked binaries/system scripts here.

While I agree that's the ideal option, if you look at the source code
for xdm, you'll see that it simply isn't possible.  .Xauthority is
hard-coded to live in a user's home directory, and there's no config
option to change it.  You are stuck with either doing the public
directory hack, or the xdm hack; that's how everyone I know has dealt
with it.  You just have to decide which is worse.

--Ken