[OpenAFS] OpenAFS + Kerberos V (krb5) + Linux ok, Win2k bad

Noel Burton-Krahn noel@burton-krahn.com
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:04:31 -0800

 First, the good news: I have got OpenAFS working with Kerberos V on my
RedHat box.  Pam works too, so all my linux clients automagically get krb5
and afs tokens on login. Wonderful.  I'll include a description of how I did
it after the bas news.

The bad news: I can't get the OpenAFS Windows 2000 client to authenticate.
1. If I disable kerberos and use pure AFS, the Win2k client works perfectly
2. If I enable kerberos, I CAN obtain tokens when I run the Win2kAFS
"Account Manager" and "Server Manager" applications.
3. BUT, with kerberos enabled, I get an error when I try to obtain tokens
with the "Client Authentication" application: "Error: 8 (user doesn't
exist)"
4. That error goes away if I turn krb5 off.

So, why does the Win2k "Account Manager" work while the "Client
Authentication" doesn't?

--Noel

Here's how I got this far.

RedHat-7.2
Linux-2.4.18
MIT Kerberos V (krb5-server-1.2.2-13)
OpenAFS (openafs-1.2.3-rh7.2.2)
OpenAFS 1.2.2b Release (AFSforWindowsNT.exe MD5:
467ae399f5c18a1482681c609c689ff3)

First, I followed the QuickStart UNIX
(http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/QuickStartUnix/auqbg002.htm) to get AFS
set up and running.  /afs was mounted properly, and everything works.

Next, I used asetkey to link afs to krb5.  The most crucial part of this was
"kadmin.local -e des-cbc-crc:v4"

asetkey list        # make sure highest keynum is 1
kadmin.local -e des-cbc-crc:v4    # the -e is crucial
  addprinc afs/burton-krahn.com@BURTON-KRAHN.COM
  modprinc -kvno 1 afs/burton-krahn.com@BURTON-KRAHN.COM
  ktadd -k /etc/krb5.keytab afs/burton-krahn.com@BURTON-KRAHN.COM
  quit
asetkey add 2 /etc/krb5.keytab afs/burton-krahn.com

# test it out
kinit noel
aklog
klist
tokens
# ok!

# get the authconfig script to inject pam_krb5afs.so
authconfig