[OpenAFS] Need to Combine AFS Database & File Servers

Warren.Yenson@morganstanley.com Warren.Yenson@morganstanley.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 01:35:33 -0500 (EST)

Joseph,

IIRC the `vos changeaddr' command was deprecated sometime around the
release of AFS 3.5, at least for changing the IP address of a single
interface machine.  Since then, the code to handle multiple interfaces
means that the entries in the VLDB should be stored /registered
automatically when you restart the machine.

Here are some notes from the Transarc site which may help:

http://www.transarc.ibm.com/Library/documentation/afs/3.6/unix/en_US/HTML/AdminGd/auagd008.htm#Header_160

which mentions that ``The File Server automatically compiles a new list of
interfaces, records them in the /usr/afs/local/sysid file, and registers
them in its VLDB server entry.''

Also, look at this page:

http://www.transarc.ibm.com/Library/documentation/afs/3.5/unix/cmd/cmd243.htm

which mentions ``Combining the command's -oldaddr and -newaddr arguments
is no longer the recommended way to change the IP address registered for a
single-homed file server machine.''

I believe that all the multi-homed features in the current AFS do the
right thing without having to use vos_changeaddr.

              - Warren