[OpenAFS] Redhat-7.3 rpm install docs? Notes

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
23 May 2002 17:41:43 -0400

Bill Broadley <bill@math.ucdavis.edu> writes:

> What is the best documentation for installing openafs via rpm (In particular
> redhat-7.3 which now has rpm's available).

Are you trying to install the AFS Client or AFS Server (or both)?

> The closest I've found is:
> 	http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/QuickStartUnix/auqbg002.htm#ToC

Yep, that is currently the best documentation (except perhaps whatever
is in the Wiki).

[snip]

You probably don't need ALL the RPMs.  In fact, I can guarantee you
that you don't need all of them.  You definitely need:

        openafs
        openafs-client
        openafs-kernel

If you are running krb5, you would want

        openafs-krb5

If you are running kaserver, you would want

        openafs-kpasswd

You probably do NOT need:

        openafs-devel
        openafs-compat
        openafs-kernel-source (unless you need to rebuild the module)
        openafs-server (unless you are actually running a server here)

> I tried the above, but stock redhat-7.3 has /etc/pam.d/login:

Don't worry about PAM until you get AFS actually configured for your
client.

> If I follow the directions mentioned by the rpm install I get:
> [root@axis root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/afs start
> Found libafs-2.4.18-3-athlon.mp.o from SymTable... Loading...
> Starting AFS services.....
> afsd: Can't find information for home cell 'math.ucdavis.edu' in cell database!

This seems to mean that your cell is not in the CellServDB.

> /usr/afs/bin/buserver: problems with host name Ubik init failed
[snip]

Are you really trying to run a server here?  If so, did you run through
the server configuration process?

> afsd: All AFS daemons started.
> afsd: Can't mount AFS on /afs(22)

This is because of the missing information above.  Fix that first.

> Meanwhile I'll keep tinkering with the documentation at the url above,
> and the RPM's to see if I can get things working.  I'll keep notes so
> hopefully I can replicate the install procedure and put up a howto
> or similar.

Put it up in the Wiki.  I'll gladly put links into future RPM
releases.

-derek