[OpenAFS] [Q] Sudden inode increase in client when AFS server goes down...

Paul Blackburn mpb@est.ibm.com
Tue, 05 Nov 2002 08:12:19 +0000

Hello,

If you do not build your AFS cell for high availability
then you can expect problems if the one single server
you rely on is shutdown.

Advice: use multiple AFS servers so that your AFS cell
services can continue if one server is shutdown.

Analogy: an aeroplane with three engines can continue
to fly even if one engine is shutdown.
An aeroplane with one engine is going to have problems
if that one engine is shutdown.

Suggestion: to reduce risk of a bad crash, have three dedicated
AFS database servers and separate dedicated AFS fileservers.
--
cheers
paul http://acm.org/~mpb