[OpenAFS] OpenAFS wishlist

Tim C tim@umbc.edu
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 22:51:54 -0500

  You all are looking for ways to make openafs more appealing, and make
people want to use it and such.  Well these are some of the things.  So many
of us have had to write work arounds for the lackings of afs(I'm not solely
blaming openafs in particular...it's things I've bitched about since
transarc).  This message below for instance.  I would love it if
a -recursive flag could be added to fs sa.  I don't know how much coding it
would be, but it seems that more or less the code's already written for
find, it shouldn't be too hard to use and/or adapt.
  This is a complaint that I've gotten numerous times from my users.  The
answer is always the same, "use find".  But it's really a cludgy complicated
solutions for the average user.  Most of my users don't particularly like
being forced to learn the fs commands, let alone a command on top of it.

  Another cludge that has bugged me many times in the past is that there is
no "vos copy".  Instead I have to do a "vos dump | vos restore", which is a
very poor solution.  Especially since that requires that I dump the data to
my client, and then pipe it back up to a server.  That significantly slows
down a client if I do it from say my workstation.  The server already has
the ability to clone a volume amoung itself.  It should be possible to
modify that to keep the clone and give it a volume name.

  One other small thing that I haven't needed too often, but while I'm
blabbering. ;)  The backup commands are not very complete.  The "backup
volrestore" should be able to take a file with volumes listed.  The "backup
partrestore" should be able to take a date.

  Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm just blabbering, but what do you all think?  It
seems to me that it is the little things that make a difference.  In order
for you to convince someone to use AFS, you have to be able to make them
realize "this is easy to use".  And that's not just the admins, it's the
users as well.

Okay, enough of my ramblings. :^}  Have a good day. ;)

  Tim