[OpenAFS] OpenAFS wishlist

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 23:59:43 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Tim C wrote:

>   You all are looking for ways to make openafs more appealing, and make
> people want to use it and such.  Well these are some of the things.  So many
> of us have had to write work arounds for the lackings of afs(I'm not solely
> blaming openafs in particular...it's things I've bitched about since
> transarc).  This message below for instance.  I would love it if
> a -recursive flag could be added to fs sa.  I don't know how much coding it
> would be, but it seems that more or less the code's already written for
> find, it shouldn't be too hard to use and/or adapt.

Look at /afs/andrew.cmu.edu/usr/shadow/ws.c

It could easily be modified to be such, and right now we use it to run fs
in this manner.

>   Another cludge that has bugged me many times in the past is that there is
> no "vos copy".  Instead I have to do a "vos dump | vos restore", which is a

Didn't we play this game last week? Seriously, after you just talked about
people getting flamed for not reading archives... ;-)

>   One other small thing that I haven't needed too often, but while I'm
> blabbering. ;)  The backup commands are not very complete.  The "backup
> volrestore" should be able to take a file with volumes listed.  The "backup
> partrestore" should be able to take a date.

the "backup" suite should die, and be replaced with something better, imo.