[OpenAFS] Serious problem upon rebuild

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
22 Sep 2002 19:46:33 -0400

Madhusudan Singh <chhabra@eecs.umich.edu> writes:

> Thanks. The bootup process has been freezing on me (I have waited for
> as long as 2 minutes for it to restart - tell me if you want me to
> wait longer to get the dump). I finally logged in as single user and
> chkconfig --del'ed the afs script.

It hangs, and you've only waited two minutes?  If you're getting an
AFS timeout (because the netowkr isn't working, for example, or your
configuration is wrong), it can take much longer than 2 minutes.

> Plus, I boot in runlevel 3. So, in light of that, could you explain
> your last sentence ?

I assumed you booted into runlevel 5.  I wanted to make sure you would see
an Oops.

Question: when the machine "hangs", can you ping it from another
machine?

-derek