[OpenAFS] AFS from NFS Mount

frank marxs fmarxs@hotmail.com
Wed, 09 Apr 2003 19:22:04 +0000

Wondering if anyone has experience running OpenAFS filesystem which use an
NFS partition as their primary storage ?

I want to try AFS exporting a filesystem / volume which is being NFS
mounted from some an NFS server?

We have a very high-performance and scaleable NFS-only file Server
with lots of spare disk space ... but for some data sets we'd rather
they be accessible only via AFS for additional security.

I would like to have my AFS server use the NFS server for disk space,
and give me an AFS export to my AFS clients...

Any thoughts on feasibility, or potential problems?

In this scenario the NFS server would have an export dedicated only to
the AFS server [potentially on a private network] and the AFS server
would be the only system with any control / access to that NFS mount.

         NFS export                          AFS export
NFS     ------------->SUN / IBM / AFS server -----------> AFS Client
SERVER                Mounting NFS Storage
                      Exporting via AFS

Can OpenAFS export a filesystem it's mounting via NFS, or does OpenAFS need
some sort of raw or device level control to it's filesystem /
partition?

>From my cursory reading, it appears that an AFS / NFS translator
simply allows a client for which there is no AFS software available,
to access an AFS filesystem via an NFS like interface ... so doesn't
appear that would work for my scenario.

Cheers
Frank

"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." - Einstein