[OpenAFS] how can you tell when files in AFS are no longer accessed.

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:11:15 -0700

Barry Miller <btmiller@anl.gov> writes:

> We have a bunch of old Transarc AFS architectures installed. For example
> alpha_osf32, rs_aix32, sgi_405, sun4_411 among many others. Is there any
> way to tell if any clients running these ancient AFS cache mangers still
> access our OpenAFS servers?

If you can make the following two assumptions:

 - All of your clients are within a well-defined IP address range that's
   small enough to feasibly search.

 - The systems that you care about are always powered on and talking to
   the network, or at least will be while you're searching.

then you can just walk your network range and do:

    /usr/afsws/etc/rxdebug <ip-address> 7001 -version

for each IP address.  This won't tell you architecture, but it will tell
you AFS client version.  (You could probably get architecture with one of
the many OS network fingerprinting programs out there if you need it as
well.)