[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-announce] OpenAFS 1.2.10 for WinNT/2000/XP available (fwd)

Ben Creech bpcreech@eos.ncsu.edu
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:11:24 -0400

I would recommend use of a pure MSI file (and by "pure," I mean
unadulterated by InstallScript and its commercial license).  MSI-based
installers are fully scriptable when done correctly, deployable via MS
Active Directory, and modifiable using free and well-documented tools
available in the Microsoft Platform SDK.

I've made one for use here at NC State University, using Orca (free from
Microsoft) and some of the work already done by Scott Williams.  However, I
need to add a few things to make it useful elsewhere.  For example, I need
to write a custom-action Dll to register afslogon.dll as a Network Provider
(we don't use afslogon.dll at NCSU).  I would also need to set it up as a
part of the normal AFS build process -- which should be possible using
command-line tools in the Platform SDK.

The project in its current state is available at:
<http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bpcreech/OpenAFS_MSI.tar.gz>
Feel free to do with this what you will.

--On Thursday, August 14, 2003 2:03 PM -0400 Stephen Joyce