[OpenAFS] Roaming Windows Profiles

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 16:41:47 -0500

James,

Sure, we've been doing roaming profiles since the first Transarc AFS client
was introduced on NT 4.0.  Over the summer of '02 we migrated to Windows XP
and are still doing roaming profiles and folder redirection without
problem.  We also knitted together Kerberos 5 and AFS for single-sign-on
with few problems, ah hem...so far.  Btw, we are pure Windows 2x/XP
architecture environment.  (Get rid of Win9x versions, not worth the
trouble to keep.)

A windows profile is just a single directory store of information.  You can
pretty safely store the profile in the user's UNIX home directory.  We just
called ours "xp_profile".  When you logon, Windows sucks the profile
directory and everything in it to the local machine.  When you logout,
everything that changed is sync'ed back to AFS space.

When our XP clients boot, they link a global network drive "N:" to the top
of our AFS filespace.  That drive is available to all users when they logon
to the box.  We setup an active directory domain and supplied it with
account names of our UNIX users.  In each user's account on the active
directory we set the profile path to point down the global drive link to
the user's home directory profile.  When the user's logon to the XP
clients, the AFS client authenticates them to the AFS file space, this
allows the XP box to grab the profile and pull it local.  (i'm actually
fibb'ing a bit here, we do it a little differently now that we are Kerb 5.)

I'm going to be putting together a fully documented solution document for
our AFS/Kerberos 5 environment if I ever get the time.  It has really
worked out well.

Let me know if you need anything specific and I may be able to help you.

Rodney

Rodney M. Dyer
x86 Systems Programmer
College of Engineering Computing Services
Email rmdyer@uncc.edu
Phone (704)687-3518
Help Desk Line (704)687-3150
FAX (704)687-2352