[OpenAFS] Roaming Windows Profiles

Dj Merrill deej@thayer.dartmouth.edu
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 16:51:54 -0500

Rodney M Dyer wrote:

> A windows profile is just a single directory store of information.
> You can pretty safely store the profile in the user's UNIX home
> directory.  We just called ours "xp_profile".  When you logon, Windows
> sucks the profile directory and everything in it to the local
> machine.  When you logout, everything that changed is sync'ed back to
> AFS space.

Hi Rodney,
    We tried something similar to your approach last summer, and ran
into some problems.
I'm curious if you were able to solve them.
We have disk quotas on our user accounts.
When someone logged in, their profile was copied to the local
client hard drive.  They create some files on the local profile,
large enough to exceed their disk quota.  When they logged out,
the machine attempted to copy the files back to AFS space, but
could not due to the quota limitation.  So the machine just hung
forever, until someone
hit the reset button.  Then there were problems with that account
logging back in until an admin went in and either cleaned up some
space in their home dir, or increased the disk quota.

    Have you run into this, and if so, how did you fix it?
We just gave up and told people to save to the AFS mapped
drive, otherwise there was a chance their files could go bye-bye
since the lab machines get wiped and rebuilt once or twice per year.

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill                          Thayer School of Engineering
ThUG Sr. Unix Systems Administrator 8000 Cummings Hall

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it
said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."   - Anonymous