[OpenAFS] Roaming Windows Profiles

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 17:25:07 -0500

Dj,

Yes, we've got AFS quota on all our users.  We have it setup so that every
user has 100 Meg quota.  When the users logon, before the profile downloads
out of AFS space, we check the quota  to see if they are over quota
already.  We don't let them logon if they are over quota and a mail message
is sent from the user's machine to an admin about the logon problem.  If
they are close to exceeding their quota limit then we give them a very
terse message about cleaning up and allow them to logon.

If they go over quota during their session, then logout, XP will try to
save what it can to their AFS space.  In the case where the profile is too
big, XP errors (silently) and just switches their profile to a permanently
local one on the machine they are on.  This does cause some problems with
our users, but not many.  (Note:  I find this behavior odd because we have
the group policy setup so that local profiles aren't allowed....going to
have to call Microsoft on this one.)  To fix this problem we end up fixing
their quota problem manually and pulling their most recently good profile
from AFS backup.  Btw, our XP machines never "lock-up" at logout as you
say.  XP will log an event viewer message that the filespace was exceeded
at logout.

Yes, quota can be a problem with the roaming profile system since it wasn't
designed for use with a one-sided quota system.  When you use a real
Microsoft filesystem share to save user quota's I think I've read in a
knowledge base article that the server has special profile mechanisms to
keep bad things from happening (most of the time).

We minimize what gets stored in our users profiles by using folder
redirection and logout exclusion lists.  Most user profiles should be from
1 to 8 Meg, anything greater can cause logon/logoffs to take a long time as
well as use up valuable network bandwidth.

Microsoft did make some changes to the profile system when they moved to XP
that caused us some headaches, but I was able to code around those for
now.  Microsoft is currently working out a few actual bugs that appear when
you logout of the XP system and save profiles.

Umm, I can say more, but I need specifics...

Rodney

Rodney M. Dyer
x86 Systems Programmer
College of Engineering Computing Services
Email rmdyer@uncc.edu
Phone (704)687-3518
Help Desk Line (704)687-3150
FAX (704)687-2352