[OpenAFS] Roaming Windows Profiles

Ray Link rlink+@pitt.edu
Sat, 08 Feb 2003 17:22:33 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Rhett Butler wrote:

> --On Wednesday, February 05, 2003 5:01 PM -0500 Stephen Joyce
> <stephen@physics.unc.edu> wrote:
>
> > 	Certain files, like MS office docs, shouldn't be opened directly
> > 		out of AFS due to assumptions about byte-range locking
> > 		which AFS doesn't support... so access to non-roaming
> > 		space is still required.
>
> Is this still an issue?  We used to get complaints about Office files in
> AFS but we haven't seen any problems with this in months....  We're still
> using 1.2.somethingorother in our labs.  Maybe newer versions of Office
> play a bit nicer?  I'd find that hard to believe.  :-)

In our unofficial test of OpenAFS on WinXP (a co-worker wanted access
to his AFS homedir from Windows), we noticed some funkiness with
opening files in OfficeXP.  The file would open, then the app (Word or
Excel) would hang for a second or two before things like the scrollbar
or cursor would be active.  After that, everything would be fine.
We're all Unix people, so we didn't know enough about Windows to
explore this any further.  This was with OpenAFS 1.2.2a; we haven't
tried a newer build yet.

==== Ray Link === University of Pittsburgh CSSD === rlink@pitt.edu ====

A bad random number generator:  1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 4.33e+67, 1, 1, 1