[OpenAFS] Solaris 9 compilation

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:53:42 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Simon Kuhn wrote:

> I'm attempting to compile openafs-1.2.8 for Solaris 9/SPARC 12/02 using Sun
> Forte 7 with the latest patches, and have run into some trouble.

No explanation for your trouble, but:

> I haven't been able to determine if vfsck is supposed to compile on Solaris,
> because Makefile.in seems to have a rule to exclude it from compilation
> (although the rule is for sun*_4* which doesn't actually match sun4x_59).

As you noticed, that rule doesn't preclude it from compilation. That rule
precludes vfsck from being compiled on SunOS 4.x

> However, it is included in the binary tarball for Solaris 9 on www.openafs.org.

Sure, that's because it built when I built the Solaris 9 binary release.

> Wouldn't a file system without fsck be a bad idea to use in a production
> environment? What are other people using Solaris doing about this?

It would if you used the inode fileserver, the default on Solaris. Of
course, we provide one for that reason.

> Incidentally, where are the files in that binary tarball supposed to go? And

The old standard was /usr/afsws, but that can be installed anywhere. The
server and client files need to be put in their usual correct locations.
(/usr/afs/bin, /usr/vice/etc, etc)

> has the latest version been built for a EA version of Solaris 9 (as the mailing
> list suggests) or a release? Do the developers need access to a Solaris 9
> workstation or something (I run around 30)?

I can't tell you what I built it on, because the host is failing to let me
ssh in just now. I'm confident we have a Solaris 9 final machine to build
on for 1.2.9.