[OpenAFS] lost contact with volume location server

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
25 Feb 2003 11:01:20 -0500

Hi.  is there any reason you sent this to us personally and not
to openafs-info?  I've cc'd this back to the list so other people
can attempt to help.  In the future, please keep this on the list.

jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am really desperate and upto now I have to
> fall down to NFS since OpenAFS doesn't work
> for me.
>
> here (Linux 2.4.21-pre4-ac4) openafs-1.2.8
>
> I removed everything from my previous running
> afs system (i.e /usr/afs /usr/vice) and I put
> a new ext3 system onto the devices for /vicepa /vicepb
>
> I can install afs cleanly and everything
> looks just nice,

So you start the servers/clients by hand and everything comes up,
but when you start the servers/clients by rebooting it does not?

How are you starting it by hand?

Are you sure you have the startup script configured properly?

> but when I reboot I get this mysterious
> lost contact with volume location server
> which is on the same machine.
> I have checked ThisCell CellServDB.
> I also get
> cannot mount /afs(22)
> (ofcourse there is an /afs directory)
>
> Has anybody found out what I am missing?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut.
>
> --
> Helmut Jarausch