[OpenAFS] Replicated volume refuses to be salvaged

Stephen Joyce stephen@physics.unc.edu
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:24:45 -0500 (EST)

The last time this happened to me (solaris 8 running transarc 3.6 2.26), I
found that salvaging the problem volume alone wasn't enough.... I even
tried specifiying "-tmpdir /tmp -orphans remove" without success.

What finally worked for me was salvaging the entire partition housing the
problem volume.  Unfortunately, that will temporarily stop the fs process
on that fileserver, so plan ahead by moving the other volumes or scheduling
a few minutes' downtime.

PS.  I never did track down the cause of the problem, but whatever it is
affects the transarc version above too.

Cheers,
Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce
Systems Administrator                                            P A N I C