[OpenAFS] -dynroot - what does it really do?

jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:09:02 +0100

Derek Atkins write:

> The -dynroot option causes /afs to be built as a "DYNamic ROOT".
> It only contacts servers when you explicitly access /afs/<cell>

I experience problems with this last sentence.

Case I
  If I use -dynroot my client machine comes up even if the server is not
  running.

Case II
  If I don't use -dynroot my client machine hangs with
  "Lost contact to server ..."
  until the server becomes available.

In both cases, if the server becomes available,
doing an ls -l /afs doesn't show the afs tree. Doing
fs examine /afs/home
reports that there is no /afs/home file.

On the other hand, if the server is running
while the client machine boots the behaviour
is normal. This is all with openafs-1.2.8 on
Linux

Thanks for your hints,
Helmut.

--