[OpenAFS] Questions about AFS usage

Ray Link rlink+@pitt.edu
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:43:36 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Jim Rees wrote:

> Of course you can set up your ssh directory so that your public keys are
> world readable, but I thought the question was how to get afs tokens on the
> server side.  Did I misunderstand?

OpenSSH still has the ability to pass AFS Tokens and Krb TGTs, but post-2.9
versions don't do it until the Session phase, *after* the Authentication
phase successfully completes.  The method I described simply solves the
chicken-and-egg problem of the server being able to read your public
keys before getting the AFS Token passed to it.

The simple answer to "How do I get AFS tokens on the server side?" is to
enable AFS Token passing in OpenSSH, and modify your .ssh/ directory
layout to let the remote sshd be able to read your public keys.

> The proposed solution of passing afs tokens before ssh authentication
> is obviously a bad idea.

Exactly.  This is why the OpenSSH developers moved the Token/TGT
passing to occur after authentication, instead of before auth, as it
used to be.

Granted, I wrote a patch to restore the old-style functionality of
passing an AFS Token before Authentication, but I understand the
security implications of this, and would only use it in a situation
where it was absolutely warranted.

==== Ray Link === University of Pittsburgh CSSD === rlink@pitt.edu ====

For some reason I was confusing "SubGenius" with "GNU" there.
        - The Cube, Forum 3000