[OpenAFS] Performance

Nathan Ward nward@esphion.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 08:15:47 +1300

I see pretty bad performance to tell you the truth.
I can read and write ~60mb/s directly to my raid array, but when using
OpenAFS (locally or remotely) to the same array, I get around 6-10MB/s,
I have seen up to 25MB/s over a peice of 1000Mbps fibre. Client and
Server are both dual P3-1ghz with 1024mb ram. I notice the context
switches on the server at this time jump to ~10000/s, and on the client
~40000/s. I imagine this is the source of my slowdown, but I havn't had
a chance to look into it.

I'd be interested if anyone else has the same level of context switches
going on.

This is while doing a large sequential write operation (dd if=/dev/zero
of=/afs/alb-nz.esphion.com/public/dd.out bs=256k count=4096).

Nathan