[OpenAFS] verifying ro volumes are not taking up extra space

Lee Damon nomad@ssli-mail.ee.washington.edu
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:35:47 -0800

I have a vicepc partition that has a bunch of volumes each of which is
rw with a shadow readonly.  When I do a vos listvol /vicepc of that server, I
see things like this:

m.r7.blacsmpich                   536872397 RW         12 K On-line
m.r7.blacsmpich.readonly          536872398 RO         12 K On-line
m.r7.blacsmpich.11                536872400 RW       1884 K On-line
m.r7.blacsmpich.11.readonly       536872401 RO       1884 K On-line

I have a second /vicepc on a different file server with exactly the
same volumes in it.  (readonly only, of course).  The second filesyste
is only half as full as the volume with the rw and ro.  Both filesystems
are 33GB formatted using ext3 formatting.

I was under the impression that ro copies of a rw volume on the same
vicep* slice should not take space, as they were merely ro pointers
into the same filesystem unless the rw volume was modified and not
released.  All volumes were released within the last 24 hours.

I created the ro volumes using the "vos addsite" command with no
special flags.  (vos addsite <fileserver> /vicepc volume).

How can I verify that I've got this set up correctly?

The fileservers are both Red Hat 7.2 boxes running kernel 2.4.18-19.7.x
and the 1.2.8 OpenAFS RPMs.

Thanks,
nomad
 -----------                       - Lee "nomad" Damon -          \
work: nomad@ee.washington.edu                                      \
play: nomad@castle.org    or castle!nomad                           \
                                                                    /\
Sr. Systems Admin, UWEE SSLI Lab                                   /  \
                "Celebrate Diversity"                             /    \