[OpenAFS] verifying ro volumes are not taking up extra space

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
27 Feb 2003 19:07:23 -0500

Lee Damon <nomad@crow.ee.washington.edu> writes:

> I have a vicepc partition that has a bunch of volumes each of which is
> rw with a shadow readonly.  When I do a vos listvol /vicepc of that server, I
> see things like this:
>
> m.r7.blacsmpich                   536872397 RW         12 K On-line
> m.r7.blacsmpich.readonly          536872398 RO         12 K On-line
> m.r7.blacsmpich.11                536872400 RW       1884 K On-line
> m.r7.blacsmpich.11.readonly       536872401 RO       1884 K On-line
>
> I have a second /vicepc on a different file server with exactly the
> same volumes in it.  (readonly only, of course).  The second filesyste
> is only half as full as the volume with the rw and ro.  Both filesystems
> are 33GB formatted using ext3 formatting.

What metric/program did you use the test the filesystem usage level?
Using 'df' you should see that the file system with the rw and ro
should be _slightly_ more 'used' than the file system with only the
ro.  They shouldn't be the same (there is SOME overhead for storing
the ro volume), but it shouldn't be twice the size, either, on a fresh
release....

Note that if you're using 'du', then yes, you'll see twice the space.
This is due to the way 'du' counts links....

-derek