[OpenAFS] General instability on Windows

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:52:04 -0500

Peter,

We've been running the AFS Windows client for over 5 years in all it's
differing flavors and versions.  And yes, I'd have to agree with you, it
isn't the best at being reliable.  We even wen't so far as to add watchdog
processes just to keep it running well.  We also schedule a nightly
shutdown and restart of the service (with a cache delete).  It's really
kinda silly, just pulling the network cable from a lan connected machine
can cause the service to lock-up.

But unfortunately, we have not found any other file system solution for
connecting the two worlds of UNIX and Windows with the global namespace
that AFS allows.  I can only hope one day that someone will write (from
scratch) a completely native solution for Windows.  I'm not holding my breath.

Good luck,

Rodney

Rodney M. Dyer
x86 Systems Programmer
Mosaic Computing Group
William States Lee College of Engineering
Email rmdyer@uncc.edu
Phone (704)687-3518
Help Desk Line (704)687-3150
FAX (704)687-2352