[OpenAFS] kernel oops on shutdown when client did not properly load

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 18:21:20 -0500

hi all -

today i installed a red hat 7.3 machine which will become the first
server in the internet2.edu cell.  I installed openafs 1.2.8 from rpms.

The host is a dell 1650 w/ hardware raid  - this means aacraid &
e1000 kernel modules were loaded.  Also, i have all of ext3, reiserfs,
and jfs loaded (I created one of each of these filesystems to do some
performance comparisons).

The host was updated to all current redhat errata, with the exception
that i downgraded to kernel update 2.4.18-18.7.x, rather than the latest,
since i couldn't quickly figure out the way around the syscall export
table issue with the newer kernel and figured 1.2.9 would fix it soon
anyway.

without thinking too hard, i set ThisCell to internet2.edu, and then
not long afterward rebooted the box.

Of course, the afs client didn't come up properly at reboot since there
is no internet2.edu cell yet.

When i rebooted the box next, i got a pair of kernel "oops" at shutdown.
This oops appears to be repeatable.  Setting ThisCell to an existing cell
(umich.edu) fixes the problem.

Does this oops sound like a known bug?  If not, I can hook up a serial
console & capture the output from the oops.

thanks,
danno
--
dan pritts                                       danno@internet2.edu
systems administrator                            734/352-4953 office