[OpenAFS] Cannot start client on Windows 2000 SP2

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 03:01:58 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Peter J. Nicol wrote:

> >  It's possible with a warm cache to run binaries on a client out of cache
> >  and not be sad, but if you need to pull some large across at 28.8 you'll
> >  be sad. It's not really any worse than any other protocol in that sense,
> >  but in the filesystem case it's perhaps easier to forget the gun is loaded
> >  and whoops, you didn't need that limb, right?
>
> Derrick, thanx for your help, but I really don't understand the gun analogy.  Are
> you saying a warm cache is unsafe?

Nope, just that with a file system you can get lulled into a false sense
of "local", and then suddenly you find yourself waiting for your window
manager to be fetched at 14.4k. The issues will be a little different with
Windows and a faster modem, but the analogy still applies.