[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.2.9 Not Working with RH Kernel

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
18 May 2003 11:20:14 -0400

ok,

"Computers in Medicine" <pittmed@pittmed.pitt.edu> writes:

> OK it looks like I'm getting closer.  I updated all the RPMs
> rpm -qa | fgrep afs gives
>
> krbafs-devel-1.1.1-1
> openafs-devel-1.2.9-rh7.1.1
> openafs-server-1.2.9-rh7.1.1
> krbafs-utils-1.1.1-1
> openafs-kernel-source-1.2.9-rh7.1.1
> krbafs-1.1.1-1
> openafs-krb5-1.2.9-rh7.1.1
> openafs-kernel-1.2.9-rh7.1.1
> openafs-client-1.2.9-rh7.1.1
> openafs-1.2.9-rh7.1.1

This looks fine...

> Then I did the following:
>
> cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
> bzip2 -d openafs-1.2.9.tar.bz2
> tar -xf openafs-1.2.9.tar
> cd openafs-1.2.9
> ./configure --enable-transarc-paths
> make
> make dest
> cp src/libafs/MODLOAD-2.4.20-13.7/libafs-2.4.20-13.7.o
> /usr/vice/etc/modload/
> cd /usr/vice/etc/modload
> ../afsmodname -f SymTable.local -g libafs-2.4.20-13.7.o

Uh, _THIS_ I don't understand..  You've got openafs-kernel-source
installed -- why not use it?  cd /usr/src/openafs-1.2.9 and follow
the instructions.

> Now /etc/rc.d/init.d/afs start gives
>
> Found libafs-2.4.20-13.7.o from SymTable... Loading...
> Starting AFS services.....
> afsd: All AFS daemons started.

ok, so the AFS client is starting, apparantly...

> However klog user@my.cell gives
> klog: error reading cell database Can't get local cell name!
>
> I'm thinking it's something simple, but I don't know where to look.

This implies that klog either cannot find your ThisCell file, or your
cell information is not in CellServDB, or it's configured to look in
the wrong directory (again because you're using the old configure, not
the RPM version).

> Thanks again very much.

-derek