[OpenAFS] openafs 1.2.10 on fedora core 1.0

Troy Dawson dawson@fnal.gov
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:05:47 -0600

> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:13:49 -0500
> From: David Botsch <dwb7@ccmr.cornell.edu>
> To: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
> Cc: David Botsch <dwb7@ccmr.cornell.edu>,
> 	grant williamson <traxtopel@fastmail.fm>,
> 	OPENAFS <openafs-info@openafs.org>
> Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] openafs 1.2.10 on fedora core 1.0
>
> See below...
>
> On 2003.11.12 14:19 Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>>David Botsch <dwb7@ccmr.cornell.edu> writes:
>>

>>>I've discovered one problem so far with the newly built rpms.
>>>
>>>On a SP machine, the name is:
>>>2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
>>>
>>>fine.
>>
>>By "the name" you mean "output from uname -r"?
>>

> Yes. That exactly what I mean. The release.
>

>>>On a MP machine, the name is:
>>>2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp
>>>
>>>kernel modules built are:
>>>
>>>libafs-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl-athlon/x86.o
>>>and
>>>libafs-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl-athlon/x86.mp.o
>>
>>Uhh, the slash is DEFINITELY going to be causing problems.  There's
>>really a slash in the name?  If so the build script is going to HAVE
>>to deal with it.
>>

> No, no slashes. I was just trying to be all-inclusive.
>
> Modules built were named, for example:
> libafs-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl-athlon.o
> libafs-2.4.22.1.2115.nptl-athlon.mp.o
> libafs-2.4.22.1.2115.nptl-i586.o
> libafs-2.4.22.1.2115.nptl-i586.mp.o
>
> and so on for i386 and i686
>

>>>AFS is trying to load a module named:
>>>libafs-2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp.mp.o
>>
>>I suspect this is due to the above issue and either afsmodname not
>>dealing properly or something else causing problems.  I'd need to see
>>the contents of <builddir>/libafs/, the contents of one of
>><builddir>/libafs/MODLOAD*/, the contents of
>><instdir>/usr/vice/etc/modload and the contents of
>><instdir>/usr/vice/etc/modload/SymTable to have a better idea of
>>what's going on.
>>

> No problem with the name of the built modules. Just with the name of
> the module afsd thinks it needs to load. It tries, on an smp machine,
> to load a module named libafs-2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp.mp.o
>
> so, unlike in previous versions of redhat, that "smp" string is getting
> in there, somehow.
> Taking a closer look, looks like the init.d script for starting afs
> needs to be fixed.
>

>>>Ugh!
>>
>>Yea.  This is what happens when you run out front ;)
>>
>>-derek
>>
>>PS: Thanks for the diff.  I'll take a look sometime soon.  I'm at the
>>IETF this week so I wont be pulling down SP1 until at least this
>>weekend if not next week.
>>
>>--
>>       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>       warlord@MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

I'm not trying to do this on Fedora, but I am doing it on RedHat Enterprise 3
(as) and ran into the same problem.  This is similar to the Mandrake problem I
was having a while back.  Thanks to whoever fixed up the 1.2.10 spec file
(Derek?), but now there is a line that you can change so you can pick
whichever variable you want it to search on for your kernel.
So in the spec file I changed

# Mandrake users can define symtab to be "-S iget4_locked -x"
%define symtab -x

# Mandrake users can define symtab to be "-S iget4_locked -x"
%define symtab -S page_follow_link -x

I then recompiled the rpm's (I needed to do that anyway) and now it finds the
right kernel module.  I really just pulled the page_follow_link out of the
list of variables I got when I did a

/usr/vice/etc/afsmodname -c /usr/vice/etc/modload/libafs-2.4.21-4.EL-i386.o

But it worked, so I'll keep that variable in there till it doesn't work
anymore, then find a better one.

I hope this helps and isn't too disjointed.
Troy

Troy Dawson  dawson@fnal.gov  (630)840-6468