[OpenAFS] Force host CPS refresh?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:35:37 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Ray Link wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>
> > The fileserver does support an operation to do this, but in fileserver
> > versions prior to 1.2.9, it is buggy and will cause the server to crash.
> > You can find a 'flushcps' program which calls this RPC in
> >
> > /afs/cs.cmu.edu/misc/afstools/src/util/flushcps.c
>
> Any chance that this can be made into an fs subcommand?  (Something
> like "fs flushcps -host <host>+ -server <server>+")  Or will the bug in
> pre-1.2.9 fileservers prevent this from going in for a while?

it would probably be anti-clever to put a gun in the hand of every afs
user and say "now don't shoot anyone".

> Also, doesn't this present a the risk of a DoS attack vs. pre-1.2.9
> fileservers?

yes, actually. i think we just dropped the ball on publicizing it.

>  I can't find anything in the 1.2.9 or 1.2.10 ChangeLog

it went in 1.2.9 so nothing in 1.2.10 would have said anything about it.

> about this, other than some changes to flushcps's behaviour in 1.2.9 --
> i.e. no mention of fileserver crashes resulting from it.

it's going to be this one:
http://www.openafs.org/cgi-bin/wdelta/STABLE12-flushhostcps-20030407
"make it so flushhostcps can't try to Release when no host was found,
which was apparently the problem dlc@cs really observed."