[OpenAFS] v1.3.6200 on windows fails to start

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:22:58 -0500

All,

At 06:56 PM 4/1/2004, Derek Atkins wrote:
>Why don't you just suggest 127.0.0.1?

You can't use that address on a Windows box.  The 127.0.0.1 address is a
built in loopback address built in to the TCP/IP stack.  This loopback
address exists even without the MS Loopback virtual network adapter installed.

When configuring the MS Loopback virtual network adapter you must remember
the following on Windows...

1.  Windows already provides the TCP/IP loopback address 127.0.0.1.

2.  The MS loopback virtual network adapter will automatically be provided
the following by Windows routing...

      a.  TCP/IP broadcast resolution.
      b.  Loopback resolution
      c.  Network broadcast resolution.
      d.  Multicast resolution.

In this case your subnet mask must always allow for at least 4
addresses.  Eg, the rightmost two bits of the mask must always be zero.

3.  You may also be running some local applications that the loopback
adapter will interfere with if you set an address that is outside your
network.  At our site for example, several of our applications are
licensed.  The license code built in to those applications must think they
are on the proper subnet.  Some of the applications looked at the loopback
address instead of the real network card.  In that case the software didn't
run.  We had to use a loopback address that was within our own subnet.

Rodney