[OpenAFS] 2.6 kernel support anytime soon? Workarounds?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 05 Apr 2004 14:30:39 -0400

On Monday, April 05, 2004 08:28:24 +1200 Steve Wray
<stevew@catalyst.net.nz> wrote:

> 0. I notice that the 2.6 kernel has a 'read-only' AFS module. Sounds
> dodgy to me. Comments?

This is not OpenAFS.  And while it is capable of making RPC's to AFS
fileservers, it does not really implement the semantics of AFS.  I used to
know details, but I've forgotten and don't care enough to look again.

> 1. Is 2.6 RW support going to happen any time soon? Like weeks, months,
> years?

Weeks?  No.
Months? Maybe.

> 3. Does the server need to be able to mount its own AFS volumes or can
> it happily function without the kernel module and have its volumes
> populated by a client?

On Linux, the fileserver will work just fine without a kernel module.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer