[OpenAFS] SUN Solaris package for Openafs.

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:47:26 -0400

On Wednesday, April 07, 2004 14:34:33 -0400 Derrick J Brashear
<shadow@dementia.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Larry W. Cashdollar wrote:
>

>> I vote for standardizing on the transarc paths, because thats how the
>> linux packages are built, so do the same for Solaris.
>
> "The linux packages"
>
> Debian doesn't use transarc paths, and is linux. you're playing fast and
> loose with the facts to justify this.

Really, I'm inclined to prefer a filesystem layout that is consistent with
existing practice on each platform, rather than one that is consistent
across platforms but makes no sense on any of them.

/usr/afs and /usr/vice were sensible places to put things when all the
world was 4.2BSD and you didn't want AFS tools in /usr/local because
/usr/local was itself a symlink to a directory in AFS.  Virtually no one
actually operates that way anymore, and even if they do, random directories
under /usr are no longer the appropriate place on most platforms.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer