[OpenAFS] no quorom elected again

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:21:42 -0400

On Friday, April 30, 2004 13:57:22 +0200 Hendrik Hoeth
<hendrik.hoeth@cern.ch> wrote:

> Thus spake Ted Anderson (TedAnderson@mindspring.com):
>
>> I am pretty sure that AFS 3.6 was the basis for OpenAFS, so this
>> server binary has to be 5 years old.  Can that be right?
>>
>> On the other hand there isn't any reason to think that no quorom
>> problems are caused by this.
>
> 11-Jan-2004 bug?
>
> Just a thought, even though I don't believe it (should have shown up
> earlier ...).

Some people just don't make database changes that often, I guess.

Yes, an afs3.5 3.60 build will have the January bug.  If the machine that
should be coordinator is running this build, it will be impossible to
establish a quorum and thus no database changes can be made.

To correct this problem, you should upgrade at least your ptserver,
vlserver, kaserver, and buserver binaries (if you run them) on any machine
that might be elected a Ubik coordinator.  Versions that will work are:

- OpenAFS 1.2.11 or later 1.2.x
- OpenAFS 1.3.52 or later
- IBM AFS 3.5 patch 9.1 or later
Or use the patched binaries released by IBM on 10-Jan-2004.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer