[OpenAFS] aklog Couldn't figure out realm

John Koyle jkoyle@rfpdepot.com
Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:15:50 -0700

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 08:37, Derek Atkins wrote:
> David Miller <D.P.Miller@lse.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > 1)When i run aklog to get the afs token I get this message:
> > "aklog: Couldn't figure out realm for my.cell.name"
> > If I run aklog, specifying the cell and kerberos realm (-k) it works fine.
> > the aklog manpage says that those options are unnecessary except when
> > the client is not properly configured. So how do i configure the
> > client so it knows the kerberos realm ???
>
> aklog looks at the db server name and then runs the krb5 hname to
> realm canonicalization routine.  If your server is named fs.cell.name
> then it will default to a kerberos realm of CELL.NAME and look for
> that in krb5.conf.

I've seen a similar problem when my CellSrvDB file wasn't setup
properly.  Make sure your syntax is:

>cellname.com   #Cell name
192.168.0.1     #servera.cellname.com
192.168.1.1     #serverb.cellname.com

If the servers are only hostnames, make sure your resolv.conf file has
cellname.com in it's search.

John