[OpenAFS] 'split' a tree of directory into volumes?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sat, 07 Feb 2004 19:44:26 -0800

Todd Lewis <utoddl@email.unc.edu> writes:

> Michael,

> You may have to wrap a script around it to handle the details, but you
> may end up using the 'up' utility to get the data into the volumes. 'up'
> is a recursive 'cp' that knows about and copies ACLs as well as files.
> Hardly anybody knows about it though, and fewer use it.

> It also knows about mount points (at least the recent OpenAFS version
> does on UNIX; the Windows versions probably doesn't, and the Transarc
> AFS 'up' doesn't) so if you happen to have volumes mounted in your tree
> they don't get copied, just the mount points.

This is a good general solution, and recommended if you want to set up to
handle things with maximum flexibility, but usually in this sort of
situation the whole tree has the same ACL and there aren't any other
oddities to worry about.  In this case, I often do the moral equivalent
of:

    vos create <volume> <somewhere>
    fs mkm new <volume>
    fs copyacl current new