[OpenAFS] Behavior Changes in XP GUI (and OSX Panther)

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 14:39:26 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Chris McClimans wrote:

> I still can't find anything worthwhile to fix/address this. So I
> thought I'd give some simple instructions to recreate the problem and
> provide fuel for thought.

Your description of the problem was adequate, from a fileserver
perspective we're behaving correctly. Rewriting a file is not "insert".

The cache manager would need to be excessively clever to avoid the
problem, basically, recognize it's running as someone with only "insert"
and avoid flushing the create for some amount of time, and that's evil,
and stateful.

Perhaps the "right answer" is to use a reserved acl bit for a mode called
"extend" or "append" ("E" or "A" bit, then, perhaps) which lets you
strictly extend, but not overwrite or truncate, a file.